Public policy for fairness and efficiency
Readings due before class on Thursday, September 12, 2019
- Introduction and 3.1-3.11 in Economy, Society, and Public PolicyThe CORE Team, Economy, Society, and Public Policy, 2019, https://www.core-econ.org/espp/.
- The Veil of Ignorance
- The Fairness Principle: How the Veil of Ignorance Helps Test Fairness
- Planet Money, “Retraining Day,” episode 750, January 27, 2017
- Planet Money, “The Bottom of the Well,” episode 640, July 22, 2015
- Alberto Alesina and George-Marios Angeletos, “Fairness and Redistribution: US vs. Europe”Alberto Alesina and George-Marios Angeletos, “Fairness and Redistribution: US Vs. Europe,” American Economic Review 95 (2005): 913–35.
- Download the PDF here, or access it on iCollege.
- This one is super mathy in the middle. Use your grad school reading skills to dig deep into the introduction, conclusion, and theory sections and not worry so much about the math.